Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Gearing up Part II

NaNoWriMo begins in less than short four weeks. Are you getting ready? Clearing the calendar for November so you can spend every spare minute writing? Telling your spouse, kids, family, friends to leave you alone for thirty days? Obsessively rearranging your writing space to make maximum use of your creativity?

Yeah, me neither. I've got four more week, for cryin' out loud! I'm not pushing the panic button for at least another  twenty-two days!

Of course, I do get my ideas lined up and ready and have one picked before then so I can just start flying on Day One. Although I have yet to make it all the way through the month (I'm not good at getting rid of outside influences), I'm an optimistic sort of person and start out with the best of intentions. So we're keeping positive thoughts on this site!

Activity

Below are several one-word prompts to prime your creativity. Grab your journal and spend a few minutes with each one, writing down ideas, fragments of ideas, phrases, character sketches of whatever comes to mind. This is a brainstorming session, so first impressions only. The fleshing out comes later.

And, before you ask, no, this is not plotting. It's idea-generating. For those of you who do plot ahead, this would be the first step in that process. For you pantsers, same thing. You're not writing the story, you're just seeing if there's a story there.

I've deliberately spaced the words out so you can focus on one at a time. Copy the word into your journal, jot stuff down for 3-5 minutes, then move on to the next word. There are five, so this activity should take between 15-30 minutes. If all you have is five minutes now, do one, then come back as time allots.

Above all....have fun! :)

PROMPTS

1)       oven








2)        autumn








3)          subway grate








4)         stethoscope







5)         physics













No comments: